Monday, January 4, 2010

On holiday

While I was in Ann Arbor for the holidays, I had some time to just bead, rather than design. For a while now, I've been buying up eBay seller Flowerchylde's Beads supply of Light Peach 12mm square Swarovski rivolis just about as fast as the owner has been posting them for auction:



I'm not a big fan of Light Peach but I fell in love with these rivolis because they had no foil backing and just looked so gorgeous. I tried them on the Double Delish Earrings designed by Carol Wilcox Wells (pattern in the April/May 2008 issue of Beadwork), although I stopped at the end of Step 3 because I didn't want the back of the rivoli covered with seed beads:

Carol Wilcox Wells is also the author of The Art & Elegance of Beadweaving: New Jewelry Designs with Classic Stitches, Creative Bead Weaving: A Contemporary Guide To Classic Off-Loom Stitches and Masters: Beadweaving: Major Works by Leading Artists (Masters: Major Works by Leading Artists).

Next I tried a couple designs from Marie Géraud's book, Bijoux tissés perles à l'aiguille. The book is in French but I found that I could follow her illustrations and my Mum-in-law helped translate when I got too confused. I can't say that I followed Marie's directions completely but her designs are lovely. You can see more of her designs at her blog, biloba bijoux. Here are a couple from the book that I beaded over the holidays:

I also made some earrings out of some vintage rivolis that I found on eBay. I'm thinking about making some limited edition kits to sell on Etsy since the rivolis are rather hard to come by:

I made both pairs of earrings using a pattern similar to the medallions in my Rivoli Bracelet. The earrings on the left were created using size 11/0 and 15/0 seed beads, 3mm fire-polished beads and #1100 45ss (about 10mm) Swarovski Diorin rivolis (which can often be found at the Beading in the Rain eBay site). The earrings on the right were created using size 11/0 and 15/0 seed beads, 3mm fire-polished beads and 12mm by 10mm oval Indian Sapphire Swarovski rivolis (which can sometimes be found at the Flowerchyldes Beads eBay site).

2 comments:

  1. How beautiful is your work, Debora!
    I'm from Sao Paulo, Brazil and I always buy your lovely projects.
    Now, a blog...It's perfect!

    Happy New Year!
    Best regards,
    Luiza Pinheiro da Cruz (luizacruz@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, now you're just showing off : ) how can you make all that and still feel the tips of your fingers?

    ReplyDelete